Usability and look-and-feel (was Re: [squeak-dev] The future of Squeak & Pharo (was Re: [Pharo-project] [ANN] Pharo MIT license clean))

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Tue Jun 30 02:11:53 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 03:39:49PM -0400, Ian Trudel wrote:

> 2009/6/29 St?phane Rollandin <lecteur at zogotounga.net>:
>
> > Or, at the contrary: let them experience a big shock that wipes out their
> > preconceived ideas about programming. Trying to help them avoid that shock
> > may actually make thing more difficult for them in the long term. They have
> > to grok that Smalltalk *is* different.
>
> 30 years of big shock have proved not to work.

Um, maybe I'm just missing something, but which part didn't work? ;-)

> Thank you for trying, come back in your next life.

I have an uncomfortable feeling that when I come back in my next life,
I will be confronted with java++ enterprise edition 7.3 with cloud
seeding enablement and business object bus drivers. So perhaps I am
not so unhappy about the state of Squeak and Pharo after all.

Dave