[squeak-dev] Future of Squeak, and outsider's view

Cameron Sanders csanders.personal at functional-analyst.com
Tue Jun 30 03:26:08 UTC 2009

What you write (down below) is close to what I was thinking when I
said have all #isXXX return false by default;
although I would test that the first two characters match 'i' and 's'
and that more characters exist, if so, return false, otherwise, normal
#doesNotUnderstand: behavior.

I would treat #is by itself differently... it is ... or it couldn't be
tested! So I would do nothing for simple #is. and I don't like #is:
because it looks like a class type test... but that is part of the
point, eh?

I'll have to go back to the original example (by siguctua at gmail.com,
and read more about lambdas) but I thought that CVLambda would
implement #isCVLambda  to return true when it can be verified to be
one. The example did not illustrate #doesNotUnderstand:.

Back to the question of adding behavior to classes that you don't own.
VisualWorks has a means to extend a class in a different package ...
as I recall. As I recall, squeak has no such capability, right?

Thanks. You have given me food for thought...

Ciao,
Cam