[squeak-dev] Re: Burn the Squeak Image! (Why I am running for board)

Stéphane Rollandin lecteur at zogotounga.net
Sun Mar 1 12:21:01 UTC 2009

> ah.. sorry :)
> Changing the object formats alone does not gives any benefits. What is
> the point in having new format when you keep using old semantic model
> as before?
> This is like swapping instance variables order in your class.. Apart
> from a better aestetical view it gives you nothing :)

let me reformulate. what I asked really is: will there be some way to
have existing images run on the coming Cog VM ? (quoting Eliot Miranda:
"this VM will be source code compatible and bytecode compatible but
likely it will not be image compatible as it will use a streamlined
object representation that doesn't use compact classes")

Stef