[squeak-dev] Re: How to profile a server image?

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Sun Mar 1 18:16:26 UTC 2009

Herbert König wrote:
> With your fix and
>
> MessageTally spyAt: Processor timingPriority-1
>              on:[(Delay forSeconds: 30) wait]
>
> I'm still confused by the result.

Yes, if you are new to this game a bit of learning is required.

> I'm using Aida and I open two web apps in two tabs of the web browser.
> Then I just switch tabs alternating and refresh the browser.
>
> So I'd expect both WebApps to show up in the tally but I only see the
> app of which ever tab in the web browser I refresh first. The
> remainder of the tally seems plausible to me except where noted in the
> tally.

I can't tell you why you are seeing one app but keep in mind that if the
call structure of both apps are very similar (which it usually is since
it is being called from the same framework) the tree gets coalesced and
you would only see one call tree until the apps actually do different
things.

> The server is a slow machine the client with the browser is fast and
> connects via Lan. A refresh takes 5 seconds. Server uses lots of CPU
> during this.
>
> Do you think it's time to go to the Aida list, or is this still a
> tally problem I have?

Some of it is definitely a problem you have.

> Squeak 3.8.2 with Win 3.10.10 VM.

That is your first problem 3.10.10 VM has the tallying problem. You need
to go back in time find a VM which doesn't have the problem. Run the
example that I sent in the first message and make sure it generates the
right results.

???????????????????????????? Why does this eat so much?
61.2% {18360ms} ProcessorScheduler class>>startUp
   |61.2% {18360ms} ProcessorScheduler class>>idleProcess

This simply means is that the process was to 60% idle. This is
accumulated over time so if you've waited for five seconds then did
something for another five it would show up at roughly 50% idle.

Cheers,
   - Andreas