[squeak-dev] Re: Burn the Squeak Image! (Why I am running for board)

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Sun Mar 1 20:23:30 UTC 2009

2009/3/1 Andreas Raab <andreas.raab at gmx.de>:
> Igor Stasenko wrote:
>>
>> Changing the object formats alone does not gives any benefits. What is
>> the point in having new format when you keep using old semantic model
>> as before?
>
> Speed. That is the only point of the exercise to begin with.
>
>> This is like swapping instance variables order in your class.. Apart
>> from a better aestetical view it gives you nothing :)
>
> If swapping ivars in a class would give me a 3x in performance I'd be doing
> this all day long...

but we both know that this is too good to be true.  :)
unless you change the way how things working, you can't achieve
significant performance boost. And often this means rewriting
interfaces, which inevitably leads to changing a lot of code on
language side etc.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.