[squeak-dev] Swazoo-Lite? (was HTTPSocket)

Phil (list) pbpublist at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 15:43:56 UTC 2009

On Mar 3, 2009, at 5:37 AM, Janko Mivšek wrote:

> .. cross posted to swazoo-dev, pharo, swazoo-devel, aida, seaside.
>
> Phil (list) pravi:
>> On Mar 2, 2009, at 9:16 PM, Keith Hodges wrote:
>>> So... would anyone out there be willing to rewrite HTTPSocket/Client
>>> from scratch so that it is well designed and so on from the ground
>>> up?
>>> Assuming that Socket will remain common between Squeak/Pharo etc, it
>>> could also provide an abstraction onto the Curl plugin as well.
>>> This new
>>> module would of course be for the benefit of all.
>
>> I too am looking for a better solution but haven't found one yet.
>> I am
>> interested in looking at anything better if it exists and am
>> willing to
>> lend a hand to helping work on such an effort as well.
>
>> As I haven't found a solution yet, I have started to implement my own
>> HTTPRequest and HTTPResponse classes which will (for now) be used
>> as a
>> front-end to a hacked up HTTPSocket.
>
> What if we rather make a Swazoo-Lite, that is a subset of Swazoo just
> with a HTTP client and a light HTTP server?
>
> That way we will avoid yet another implementation of HTTPRequest and
> Response classes , but we will reuse a proven and tested ones from
> Swazoo.

Agreed and that's why I posted... I'd rather not reinvent the wheel if
I don't have to, but was getting extremely frustrated by the
limitations of HTTPSocket.  I'll look at Swazoo's networking code
today... but your proposal seems like a logical approach to build on
what's already there.  (though I would suggest a slightly different
twist... see below.)

> Swazoo currently don't have a HTTP client but this is easy to add
> because  all the infrastructure is there. In Swazoo we otherwise
> need a
> client for reverse proxy support, but this client can actually became
> useful as a standalone client as well, as part of Swazoo Lite.
>
> What do you think?

Rather than creating a Swazoo-Lite which is fairly application-
specific, I'd think that pulling just the HTTP protocol code into its
own package which would create a good starting point for any code
requiring HTTP (and hopefully someday Squeak images... hint, hint ;-)
There's a lot of stuff going on in an HTTP server that client side
code will never care about and vice versa.  That way, regardless of
what someone is doing (client-side, server-side, heavy usage, light
usage) they could take advantage of the networking code which is what
I, and I believe Keith, are looking for.  As I said before, I'm
willing to help do this and am not just asking for someone to hand me
the finished product.

> Best regards
> Janko
>

> --