[squeak-dev] debugging plugin and virtual machine

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 19:15:23 UTC 2009

2009/3/3 Ang Beepeng <beepeng86 at yahoo.com>:

> Thank you so much. I'm actually working on Windows base plugin.

ohh.. then i feel  sorry for you :)
Debugging VM on windows is a complete hell.
I know it by myself, because developing Hydra VM on windows.

All gbd versions which i found, can't show me a correct stack trace
for VM built using gcc 2.95. :((
So i got to use 2 debuggers at once:
- gdb to look for a source code at specific instruction address

- visual c debugger to see the correct stack frames and function addresses..
horrible, inconvenient & takes a lot of time to find a bug...

> John M McIntosh wrote:
>>
>> Well if you are using a macintosh it's easy, just follow the
>> instructions to build an xcode based vm,
>> the open up the xcode project for the plugin, ensure the debug version
>> of the plugin is findable by the debug vm
>> put breakpoints in the vm or plugin, invoke debug.
>>
>> You can also configure the xcode plugin project to run a vm if needbe
>> and not need to compile a debug vm.
>>
>> =
>> =
>> =