[squeak-dev] Re: How to profile a server image?

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Tue Mar 3 22:29:50 UTC 2009

Juan Vuletich wrote:
> What you say sounds similar to what Andreas suggests to make
> MessageTally spy over all processes. The issue I point out is that when
> MessageTally
> builds the tree, the sender of a context might be in another process.
> This happens when a context forks a new process, it is still its sender.
> So when building the tally tree, I need to query each context for the
> process running it, and when it is different from the parent's one, I'll
> start a new tally tree.

I'm not sure how useful this is. When it comes to measuring where the
time goes, the cumulative tree of multiple processes shows you if you
have deficiencies in the core framework handling. This is extremely
useful. And it breaks down quite nicely into separate pieces where
actual different work is involved. I don't think you would get much more
useful information if you were to break things apart. And I can say for
sure that for the purposes of our server profiling it would be pretty
much useless - under load we run literally hundreds of processes.

Cheers,
   - Andreas