[squeak-dev] Re: An old gripe (or: SystemChangeNotifier + Announcements = Sanity?)

nicolas cellier nicolas.cellier.aka.nice at gmail.com
Fri Mar 6 07:23:16 UTC 2009

Andreas Raab <andreas.raab <at> gmx.de> writes:

> ... snip due to gmane policy :( ...
>
> 	anEvent itemKind = SystemChangeNotifier methodKind and:[anEvent isRemoved]
>
> and just replace them with something like "anEvent isMethodRemoval". It
> would likely be faster too, since most places aren't really interested
> in *all* events either.
>
> It would mean that Announcents would have to go core but this cleanup
> alone seems worth it. I also suspect that adding Announcements and
> fixing SystemChangeNotifier may remove more code than it would add.
>
> How do people feel about that?
>
> Cheers,
>    - Andreas

Sure. ++ for Announcements.
But one thing just annoys me: uncontrolled proliferation of #is* messages.
Why general Announcement framework should know about every specific annoucement
for example implementing isMethodRemoval ?
That makes me think of the Newspeak doesNotUnderstand hack which install an
invisible ^false method at root object...

Nicolas