[squeak-dev] New Window VM (Closures, FT2Plugin, Large Cursors)

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Sat Mar 7 07:38:32 UTC 2009

Folks -

Since I was in VM building mode today I figured I might as well make a
new Squeak VM. There is some interesting new stuff in it:

* Closure support. This VM is based on VMMaker-dtl.116 meaning it
includes support for the closure bytecodes. I have verified it by both
running a Qwaq image on this VM and and a converted closure image on our
Stack VM (this is useful since the Stack VM will die a horrible death
something goes wrong in the process). It worked fine both ways which
means that I no longer need to switch VMs (yay! ;-)

* Experimental large cursor support. Try the following for fun (but
don't do it in an image you care about):

	cursor := Cursor extent: 128 at 128 depth: 32.
	cursor offset: -64 at -64.
	cursor getCanvas
		fillOval: cursor boundingBox color: (Color white alpha: 0.1);
		frameOval: cursor boundingBox width: 4 color: Color red;
		line: 62 at 64 to: 66 at 64 width: 1 color: Color blue;
		line: 64 at 62 to: 64 at 66 width: 1 color: Color blue.
	Cursor classPool at: #NormalCursor put: cursor.

This changes your normal cursor to be a 128x128 pixels large,
translucent cursor.

* FT2Plugin. The build includes an external FT2Plugin that has no
dependencies on extra DLLs.

The downloads are in the usual places:
http://squeakvm.org/win32/release/SqueakVM-Win32-3.11.1-bin.zip
http://squeakvm.org/win32/release/SqueakVM-Win32-3.11.1-src.zip

A closure image (for those interested):
http://squeakvm.org/win32/release/Squeak-3.10.2-Closures.zip

Note that I consider this an "alpha" version since there is a goodly bit
of new and untested stuff in it. I'm in particular interested in finding
people to test large cursor support and the FT2Plugin.

Feedback is highly welcome.

Cheers,
   - Andreas