[squeak-dev] Application deployment in Squeak

Ralph Johnson johnson at cs.uiuc.edu
Mon Mar 9 12:51:02 UTC 2009

> -  Stripped Squeak image:  I've picked up hints of various attempts at this
> (Dependency-
> walker type things, and scripts that disable developer tools).  Seems that
> this is a
> hard problem though, between type-inferencing where variables can take on
> arbitrary types,
> and reflection, and dynamic evaluation, and so on.  So, for now at least
> this is kind
> of a cumbersome and unwieldy way to deal with app deployment.

Since you are just going to be packaging a game that you are
developing in Squeak, this is what you should do.  Forget
type-inferincing.  Just go with your understanding of your application
and trial and error.  I've had students use this to package games they
made in Squeak, and it only took them a week or two to get it to work.
 The other possibilities are all long-range research projects.
Compared to those ideas, stripping an image is boring and unwieldy.
However, it is what people use today when they want to deploy an
application in Squeak that is as small as possible.

-Ralph Johnson