[squeak-dev] keeping arrow for assignment operator

Ralph Boland rpboland at gmail.com
Wed Mar 11 00:35:04 UTC 2009

I am planning to upgrade the version of Squeak I am using (Squeak 3.8.1 on
Linux) to 3.10.

I realize that the arrow for the assignment operator has been
deprecated and is displayed as an underscore in Squeak 3.9 or later.
So before I release my open source project I will need to conform
to using ':=' for assignment.
But I rather like using the arrow operator because it is easy to read
and I won't be releasing my open source project for some time.
So, until I release it, I would like to continue using the arrow and having
it displayed as an arrow.

How difficult is it to modify Squeak 3.9 or later so that the display of the
'_'
character shows an arrow?
I promise that I will switch to the := operator for assignment before
releasing, really!

Ralph Boland