[squeak-dev] Re: Squeak-dev Digest, Vol 75, Issue 23

Simon Kirk simon.kirk at pinesoft.co.uk
Thu Mar 12 09:40:46 UTC 2009

On 11 Mar 2009, at 16:08, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> On 11.03.2009, at 16:29, Ralph Boland wrote:
>
>> If not I am not sure how to draw the proper glyph.
>
> If you are using a StrikeFont (i.e., Accu*), the proper glyph should
> still be there:
>
> 	Character value: 16r8F
>
> If you are using a Balloon-rendered TrueType font, there never was a
> left-arrow character.
>
> If you use a FreeType-rendered font, there should be a left-arrow at
>
> 	Character value: 16r2190
>
>> I assume that the _ character has been deprecated so that at some
>> time
>> in the future it will be possible to write a variable name as
>> var_name.
>> Otherwise I see no point in taking the deprecation step.
>> While I am not fond of this change I do accept it and will conform
>> when
>> the point arrives that I need to.  For me that point is when I
>> release
>> my code.
>

> I'm not entirely sure but I think you can have your cake and eat it
> too, using Shout. IIRC it allows to display := as ← even though in
> the saved method it still uses :=.

Ah! This would be very cool indeed. However, I haven't seen it on any
browsers when I've been using Shout. Can anybody confirm what versions
etc are needed to make this happen?

Cheers,
Simon

Consider your responsibility to the environment - think before you print!

This email is from Pinesoft Limited. Its contents are confidential to the intended recipient(s) at the email address(es) to which it has been addressed. It may not be disclosed to or used by anyone other than the addressee(s), nor may it be copied in anyway. If received in error, please contact the sender, then delete it from your system. Although this email and attachments are believed to be free of virus, or any other defect which might affect any computer or IT system into which they are received and opened, it is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure that they are virus free and no responsibility is accepted by Pinesoft for any loss or damage arising in any way from receipt or use thereof. *******************************************************************************************************************************************

Pinesoft Limited are registered in England, Registered number: 2914825. Registered office: 266-268 High Street, Waltham Cross, Herts, EN8 7EA