[squeak-dev] Re: Deltastreams update

Göran Krampe goran at krampe.se
Fri Mar 13 15:30:20 UTC 2009

Hi!

Göran Krampe wrote:
> I have just implemented this little parser calling it "Tirade" and it is
> a small subset of Smalltalk that only differs in not having a receiver
> to the left, could be easily added though. I also did a quick and dirty
> benchmark, it is about 3-4 times faster than Compiler, no real profiling
> done yet.

After some profiling Tirade is now about 7 times faster than doing evals
using Compiler. Tirade can also parse the full file in one sweep without
having to do it in chunks, same speed.

I think this parser will be quite useful as a Delta parser - and for
other similar formats.

And yes, it currently does not have a receiver before the messages it
would otherwise be fully legal Smalltalk code. Not sure why that would
be interesting though.

I will now proceed to test using this as serialization format for Deltas.

regards, Göran