[squeak-dev] Re: keeping arrow for assignment operator

Cédrick Béler cdrick65 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 13 16:57:30 UTC 2009

>> If, as Bert implied in the other "left arrow related" thread, Shout
>> can render the := as a left arrow, then we get the best of both
>> worlds, no?
>>
>> Problem is that I've never seen this behaviour. Can anybody verify
>> whether it's actually true?
>
> It is controlled by a Preference -
> syntaxHighlightingAsYouTypeLeftArrowAssignment.
>
> There is a corresponding Preference -
> syntaxHighlightingAsYouTypeAnsiAssignment , which changes _ to :=
>
> (If both these preferences are false, then the method source is not
> transformed)
>
> Cheers,
> Andy

I tried and it works... except instead of having a real left arrow, I
get an underscore (strangely, this is working in pharo that way
whereas in a fresh squeak dev based on 3.10, this isn't). Anyway,
isn't the idea to have displayed "real" arrow   <-  ?

I think I'd like that but I just dislike seeing underscores for assignement.

Cheers,

Cédrick