[squeak-dev] floats (was: Cog as DLL)

Jecel Assumpcao Jr jecel at merlintec.com
Sat Mar 14 23:10:43 UTC 2009

Eliot Miranda wrote:

> - port to AMD64/EMT64 with a 64-bit object representation that uses
> the two-word header format in the new object model and immediate
> doubles (as I did in 64-bit VW).

One cute idea I saw somewhere was using 64 bit floats for everything,
fitting all other objects into the NaN encoding. Even if you select only
one of the four kinds of NaNs (postive/negative, signalling/silent) you
still have 52 bits to play around with.

Would an immediate float representation for 32 bit VMs be of any
interest? It seems to me that ...xxxx1 represents SmallIntegers and
...xxxx00 represents oops, so ...xxxx10 would be free to use for floats
with 30 bit precision (what Self has).

-- Jecel