[squeak-dev] Squeak image for PDAs ?

Martin Drautzburg Martin.Drautzburg at web.de
Mon Mar 16 06:51:21 UTC 2009

I just bought a Sharp SL-C760 Linux PDA and I would really like to run Squeak
on it and write my own PIM application. I don't know how big an image I can
run there, so I am looking for a small image. So far I tried the following:

o Run Smalltalk majorShrink (after making an MVC project the toplevel one)

This printed some warnings got my CPU to 100% for an hour or so and never
finished.

o Dynapad

All the links to Dynapad resources seem to be dead. I suppose Dynapad is named
after Dynabook which only existed as a cardboard prototype, but I really like
the idea of Dynabook. Now isn't that a tragedy: now we have all the pieces
together, we have the hardware and we have Squeak, but a working Dynabook
seems to be as distant as ever.

o Kernelimage

I got some Kernelimages (morphic basic and morphicExt) and they do start, but
they seem to be full of loose ends. It doesn't take much to end up in the
emergency debugger (e.g. click on "appearence"), so I don't have much faith
in those images.

I suppose I could live with an MVC only image.

Is anyone using Squeak on a handheld? Could you give me some pointers to a
suitable image file or instructions how to build one myself?

Thanks

--
Martin