[squeak-dev] GSOC 2009 not accepted

donna at hawcenter.org donna at hawcenter.org
Thu Mar 19 18:36:08 UTC 2009

Hi Aik-Siong,

I am the founder of the Hawthorne Center for Innovation in the Southern
California area. I also applied for GSoC 2009. The Center has a whole
"wish-list" of Squeak-based projects we would have liked to have gotten
funded. I would be interested in connecting up for next year's program.

I found Squeak on the web in the fall of 2005 while searching through wiki
frameworks for the 20 years of history I had harvested and wanted to get
onto the web. While surfing I ran into Swiki and from there I soon ran into
the then newly-published book by Stephane Ducasse, Squeak: Learn Programming
with Robots. I was so excited! - I had started the Center to work with
homeschooled kids in my area and had wanted to develop a robotics program
that didn't involve the expense of buying Mindstorms or Logo.

When I got the book, being a non-geek, I could barely understand what was
being discussed, but there were pictures and I could at least figure out
that I was finally in the right ballpark! I handed the book over to my
Principal Research Scientist-in-Residence, Ben Cooper, who also got excited;
we got hold of every piece of literature on Smalltalk that we could. After 6
months of intensive study, Ben started to head a weekly workshop here at the
Center for kids on Squeak.

Now, 3 + years later, the Center has morphed into a small research institute
helping to support the work of a group of internationally-placed Squeakers
and Ben has started a collaborative arrangement with a student form the
University of Missouri-Rolla to create lessons for introducing Squeak to
kids form 8 to 80 which will provide the experience of "painlessly" learning
of the principles of computer science while having fun with graphics.

At present, I don't have much on my website; in a couple of days, I will
have the alpha version of the first lesson up at www.hawcenter.org. I will
also put up the "wish list " that I would have posted for GSoC 2009. I will
include more about on-going Squeak-projects being worked on through the
Center including the data structure Ben is writing for my history wiki (as
yet unnamed).

Looking forward to any relationship,

Donna Schrokosch