[squeak-dev] Organising and Documenting Micro-Universes in Squeaksource

Damien Pollet damien.pollet at gmail.com
Fri Mar 20 00:57:02 UTC 2009

On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 22:46, Keith Hodges <keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> I have long been frustrated that there is no place in squeaksource for
> documenting what is in a repository, and offering feedback as to what
> works where.

Yes, and the MC tools should support that IMHO.
BTW I'd also add: no nice support for named/tagged branches (I mean,
in a big project there should be released/working/devel/in-progress
branches, or at least documented sequences of snapshots for stable
versions, and we have
package-developerUniversallyKnownToNotRegularlyBreakThings.biggestNumber.mcz)

> I have started to use Sake/Packages as a kind of micro "universe" for my
> Seaside "Client" UI & Backend Component Framework. Having seen how
> useful this is I thought that this might be useful for pier, and of
> course seaside and other projects.

Yup, I like the idea.

> Some have reservations about Sake/Packages because they say it is not
> declaritive.

Huh… it's a rule system, right ? The alternative I know about being
scripts that explicitly load snapshots in sequence, I fail to see
where sake is not declarative.

>From my discussions on the subject, problems are more about the
perception of what level of predictability and control one would get
by using sake. Questions like "how do I know what will get installed
if I pull this one" or "how do I install this, but with this
particular version of that", and so on. Maybe it's a problem of
polishing the DSL, of documentation, maybe of tools, I'm not sure;
that could be investigated a bit more.

For me it's clear that automatic dependancy management is the way to
go, though the squeak/pharo community does not have resources or
organization like debian's, so I think we need a more decentralized
and agile way of managing dependancies, detecting and resolving
incoherencies, etc.

--
Damien Pollet