I need some advice (was Re: [Pharo-project] [squeak-dev] Organising and Documenting Micro-Universes in Squeaksource)

Göran Krampe goran at krampe.se
Fri Mar 20 08:42:13 UTC 2009

Hi!

Keith Hodges wrote:
> Also with DeltaStreams integration with Installer, we might have the
> ability to load into a "Delta/SystemEditor" rather than actually in to
> the image.

Ah! There's my queue! :)

Yes, although I only read casually what you are talking about I do agree
with the general notions expressed. And yes, hopefully we will soon have
Deltas in a useful form.

Quick status again, followed with some questions:

- Lots of tests are now green, still lots of tests not green but most of
them are "wishful thinking"-tests and not really broken tests.
- I am refactoring and cleaning right now, as a pre-cursor to adding the
new file format.
- I am also just beginning to try out Tirade as a file format. For more
info on Tirade, see my first article:

    http://goran.krampe.se/blog/Squeak/Tirade.rdoc

So in a relatively short timeperiod I hope we have code to load and save
Deltas as xxx.d (Delta Tirade format) and xxx.dgz (Gzipped). Would these
two file extensions work? Or should we use convention *.d and *.d.gz?

Next step IMHO is to write a Dual Change Sorter-ish tool for Deltas - I
would also like to hear advice on how to build that in order to:

- Be compatible with as many Squeak forks as possible.
- Get a clean nice simple tool.

Just copy plain dual change sorter? Use Toolbuilder? Use MC codebase?
Omnibase?

The end goal would be to fully replace Dual Change Sorter - which means
that I would also like to have some support for loading a cs as a Delta
and to save a Delta as a plain cs.

...and as always, if you like to join us in moving Deltastreams forward,
just holler!

regards, Göran