[squeak-dev] SqNumberParser!

Göran Krampe goran at krampe.se
Fri Mar 20 10:22:26 UTC 2009

Howdy folks!

In working on Tirade I stumbled upon SqNumberParser and its history:

http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=3512

...it was added to the image in 3.9 but not hooked into Scanner -
Scanned still uses Number class>>readFrom:.

Now... In Tirade I can use whichever - but using SqNumberParser makes it
more correct, and quite faster - although "less portable" since I would
depend on it. I will now make Tirade use SqNumberParser *if present* in
the image, otherwise fall back on Number class>>readFrom:. This opens up
some slight potential incompatibility issues, but whatever.

Question: Is there anything stopping 3.9+ including Pharo to start using
SqNumberParser from Scanner>>xDigit?

And oh, the class name is not so good IMHO, why the Sq prefix?

And yeah, class var not used in SqNumberParser: BelllerophonBase10 :)

regards, Göran