[squeak-dev] living in the stone age; change set migration tools anyone?

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Mon Mar 23 03:39:28 UTC 2009

Hi All,
    I'm embarrased to say that part of my ork environment revolves around
ChangeSets.  While I very happily use Monticello I also have the Closure
bootstrap strewn across a number of change sets, about 20 in all.  Because
the Closure bootstrap is complicated, with different variations for Squeak
3.9, Croquet etc, with different stages in self-modification of the
compiler, etc, it can't be written as a set of Monticello packages.

But for the second time I am about to hit my changes file limit and, because
of Monticello overrides and my own method history, I do not want merely to
condense changes and continue.  Instead what I want to do is move my change
sets to a more up-to-date image.  At Qwaq Andreas builds weekly images whose
end result includes the result of the Closure bootstrap.

What I would like to do is serialize all my change sets, file-out all my
changes (idelaly including history) and then in an up-to-date deserialise
the change sets to preserve the structure, and selectively file-in those
changes that are different to the up-o-date image (I haven't thought this
last point through too carefully; presumably all the changes are in the
up-to-date image, so what I really want to bring in somehow is the history).

What I wondered was has anyone else gone throguh something similar and if so
do they have any code that would help me, war stories that would change my
mind, or alternatives (e.g. how to preserve Monticello overrides through a
condense changes).

AdvThanksance

Eliot