[squeak-dev] Re: OSProcess capabilities on Windows

Aran Lunzer aran at meme.hokudai.ac.jp
Tue Mar 24 19:01:42 UTC 2009

Hello Bal$(D+!(Bzs - thanks for the pointer!

>> Ideally what I'd like to do is launch an executable (a Java application,
>> typically invoked through a batch file) that listens for user-typed
>> commands on stdin, and produces console-style responses.  I'd like to
>> throw commands at it from Squeak, listen for the corresponding results,
>> then eventually shut it down.
>
>You might try the ProcessWrapper package.
>We tried it with the image and vm in
>http://ftp.squeak.org/3.7/win/Squeak3.7-current-win-full.zip on vista.
>
>You can use it like:
>
>p := ProcessWrapper new
>    useStdout;
>    startWithShellCommand: 'cat';
>    yourself.
>p writeToStdin: 'foo'.
>(p next: 3) = 'foo'
>
>It's available here: http://www.squeaksource.com/ProcessWrapper.html

So... I tried installing it, but none of my 3.7 images (on XP or on Vista)
could work with the ready-built DLL.  Not even the out-of-the-box 3.7
release.  The 3.9 release image seemed much happier: the precise example
you gave here didn't work as I was expecting, but the basic example on the
SqueakSource summary page did:

  ProcessWrapper new
    useStdout;
    startWithShellCommand: 'echo hello';
    upToEnd

  -->  'hello<cr>'

Looking at the source code for the DLL, I'm afraid that at the level of my
non-Squeak skills it would probably take me a day to rebuild it.  Do you
happen to have a 3.7-specific compiled DLL?

Many thanks

Aran