[squeak-dev] Re: ProcessWrapperPlugin.dll [was: OSProcess capabilities on Windows]

Aran Lunzer aran at meme.hokudai.ac.jp
Wed Mar 25 03:20:00 UTC 2009

Andreas wrote:
>Aran Lunzer wrote:
>> Looking at the source code for the DLL, I'm afraid that at the level of my
>> non-Squeak skills it would probably take me a day to rebuild it.  Do you
>> happen to have a 3.7-specific compiled DLL?
>
>It is extremely unlikely that the problem is with the DLL. More likely
>you are switching between VMs that are not compatible with this version.
>Try running your 3.7 images with a more recent VM and see if this works
>with the DLL in question.

Back in my original message about OSProcess I mentioned that I'm working
with a 3.7 Web-browser-plugin VM that has been customised (to do various
things in support of the .NET bridge).  If I can't persuade ProcessWrapper
to work with that, I can't use it.  At least, not this year  :-)

I did a little more testing and, as you suggested, the more recent VM
helped: the out-of-the-box 3.8 release (6665), for example, couldn't load
the ProcessWrapper DLL with its standard VM (Nov 2003), but could when I
wheeled in the VM from 3.9.

So it seems that something has changed in the VMs, and that something in
the DLL only works with new ones.  But given that Balasz said that they
had used ProcessWrapper with 3.7, I wondered whether they had - or could
recompile - a version of the DLL that would be compatible with an old VM.

What has changed in the VM wrt DLL loading?  Something to do with
64/32-bit support, perhaps?

All the best -

Aran