[squeak-dev] How do you start squeak so that the web plugin can be used view the screen?

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Wed Mar 25 12:30:16 UTC 2009

On 25.03.2009, at 13:12, Frank Church wrote:

> On 24/03/2009, Herbert König <herbertkoenig at gmx.net> wrote:
>> Hello Frank,
>>

>> FC> When I switched to Internet Explorer the plugin downloaded, so
>> I guess
>> FC> it is not available for Netscape/Mozilla. I will see if it
>> works after
>> FC> I restart Firefox
>>
>> i use Firefox, latest but it works like you describe for IE since I
>> use it and over several Etoys versions.
>>
>> I talk about windows XP here.
>>
>> Don't remember if its necessary to restart Firefox.
>>

>> Cheers,
>>
>> Herbert                            mailto:herbertkoenig at gmx.net
>>

> It works with Firefox after I restarted, I was expecting a standard
> plugin which works like the .xpi files.

.xpi files are a packaging format for browser extensions. They only
work on Firefox/Mozilla, whereas many more browsers (e.g. Opera)
understand the plugin format itself (which is just a .dll on Windows).

So a .xsi would contain the plugin, but I'm not sure if it could
contain the whole Etoys installation. If that was possible then yes,
it would be valuable if someone made a .xsi installer. Contributions
welcome :)

- Bert -