[squeak-dev] [Ann] Cuis: A new Squeak distribution

Juan Vuletich juan at jvuletich.org
Sat Mar 28 03:19:06 UTC 2009

Igor Stasenko wrote:
> 2009/3/27 Juan Vuletich <juan at jvuletich.org>:
>
>> Hi Folks,
>>
>> I'm pleased to announce that Cuis is available. Cuis is a Squeak
>> distribution with emphasis on simplicity. You can download it from
>> http://www.jvuletich.org/Cuis/Cuis1.0-0158.zip . The web is not done yet.
>>
>> Some of the main ideas and objectives for Cuis are:
>>
>> - Aimed at Smalltalk developers and people learning about Smalltalk
>> - Close to Smalltalk-80 and Dan Ingalls' ideas
>> - Compatible with the latest Squeak VMs
>> - MIT license (based on the work by Yoshiki Ohshima, from VPRI)
>> - Evolution by removing unnecessary complexity, not adding it
>> - Reduced Morphic
>> - No MVC or Etoys
>> - No M17N, Traits, Monticello, Omnibrowser, TTFonts, FreeType
>> - Includes support for building VM plugins, but not for building the VM
>> - Includes a set of high quality, antialiased StrikeFonts
>> - Backwards compatibility not important
>> - Include code from the Squeak project (various versions, Mantis, squak-dev,
>> etc)
>>
>> Cuis is under MIT license. It is the result of several years of cleanup, and
>> it is currently being used in one commercial project. It is small and fast,
>> and good for dev and learning. Besides PCs, it also runs great on older
>> machines, PDAs and embedded devices.
>>
>> I hope you like it.
>>

> Wow.. what a surprise :)
>
> A note in 'About Cuis' states:
> [[
> The first outcome of that team splitting of Morphic in several
> packages. As the Squeak community wasn't willing to start dropping
> complexity (and functionality), we decided to maintain our own image.
> ]]
>
> I think this is not the case today. I'm always thinking that splitting
> Morphic onto separate parts would be best way towards modularity.

Sure. Everybody agrees on that. That's why we did split Morphic in 3
packages: Morphic, Morphic-Extras and EToys. But there is too much
dependency between them, and decoupling them in a way that would allow
them to be loaded back is too hard. So the hard decision is to
completely drop stuff. I removed Morphic-Extras and Etoys. They can not
be loaded back.

> I like to see that browser in Cuis image feels much more responsible
> comparing to OB. Maybe its not as complex as OB, but wery neat :) It
> shows that GUI can be made fast in squeak, if people care about it :)

Yes. Squeak used to run quite well on my old Pentium 300 Toshiba laptop.
> Also, i noticed all Morph classes are prepended with 'Old'.. which
> means , obviously, that there should be something 'New' ?

'New' is Morphic 3.0, my pet project. Not ready for public exposure yet...

> I seen a LightWidgets code, but not see how to run/use it (examples
> are empty). is it ready for use, or its still under work?

LightWidgets is a 'sub-framework' I wrote for doing simple UIs for
embedded devices. Our application works quite nicely on hardware so slow
that even Cuis browser feels sluggish. I didn't want to wait until
everything is documented before release. LightWidgets might be useful
for other people, and I intend to document and complete it. It uses a
particular programming style, not unlike pluggable views. You might want
to wait for some documentation before using it seriously.

BTW, Igor, I hope you think these deserve to be called 'Nice Fonts'.

Thanks for taking a look, and for your comments.

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich