[squeak-dev] Re: [Ann] Cuis: A new Squeak distribution

Klaus D. Witzel klaus.witzel at cobss.com
Sat Mar 28 06:45:13 UTC 2009

Hi Juan,

on Fri, 27 Mar 2009 21:16:07 +0100, you wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> I'm pleased to announce that Cuis is available. Cuis is a Squeak
> distribution with emphasis on simplicity. You can download it from
> http://www.jvuletich.org/Cuis/Cuis1.0-0158.zip .

Thank you Juan, this looks & feels good :)

> The web is not done yet.
>
> Some of the main ideas and objectives for Cuis are:
>
> - Aimed at Smalltalk developers and people learning about Smalltalk
> - Close to Smalltalk-80 and Dan Ingalls' ideas
> - Compatible with the latest Squeak VMs
> - MIT license (based on the work by Yoshiki Ohshima, from VPRI)
> - Evolution by removing unnecessary complexity, not adding it
> - Reduced Morphic

I'm under the impression that system windows flash when focused; is this
intended or can the flash be turned off somehow?

> - No MVC or Etoys

:) there is still one sender of #isMorphic and it causes DNU when doing
alt-W :(

> - No M17N, Traits, Monticello, Omnibrowser, TTFonts, FreeType

I have many platform fonts which I access with the FT2 plugin, do you plan
support or is there experience with FT2 running in Cuis?

> - Includes support for building VM plugins, but not for building the VM
> - Includes a set of high quality, antialiased StrikeFonts

Yay :) cr's and lf's no longer mysterious ghosts :)

> - Backwards compatibility not important

:) can I have my (#scrollBarsOnRight false) preference back?

> - Include code from the Squeak project (various versions, Mantis,
> squak-dev, etc)
>
> Cuis is under MIT license. It is the result of several years of cleanup,
> and it is currently being used in one commercial project. It is small
> and fast, and good for dev and learning. Besides PCs, it also runs great
> on older machines, PDAs and embedded devices.
>
> I hope you like it.

Thank you Juan, good work! I'll use Cuis instead of
Squeak3.10.2-7179-basic. Did I ask, can I have my (#scrollBarsOnRight
false) preference back? :)

/Klaus

--
"If at first, the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it".
Albert Einstein