[squeak-dev] Re: [Ann] Cuis: A new Squeak distribution

Juan Vuletich juan at jvuletich.org
Sat Mar 28 12:17:19 UTC 2009

Hi Klaus,

Klaus D. Witzel wrote:
> Hi Juan,
>
> on Fri, 27 Mar 2009 21:16:07 +0100, you wrote:
>
>> Hi Folks,
>>
>> I'm pleased to announce that Cuis is available. Cuis is a Squeak
>> distribution with emphasis on simplicity. You can download it from
>> http://www.jvuletich.org/Cuis/Cuis1.0-0158.zip .
>
> Thank you Juan, this looks & feels good :)
>
>> The web is not done yet.
>>
>> Some of the main ideas and objectives for Cuis are:
>>
>> - Aimed at Smalltalk developers and people learning about Smalltalk
>> - Close to Smalltalk-80 and Dan Ingalls' ideas
>> - Compatible with the latest Squeak VMs
>> - MIT license (based on the work by Yoshiki Ohshima, from VPRI)
>> - Evolution by removing unnecessary complexity, not adding it
>> - Reduced Morphic
>
> I'm under the impression that system windows flash when focused; is
> this intended or can the flash be turned off somehow?

No, it was not intended, and I don't see it... How do you make them
flash? Just clicking on each Workspace doesn't make them flash here...

>> - No MVC or Etoys
>
> :) there is still one sender of #isMorphic and it causes DNU when
> doing alt-W :(

Good! First bug report! It will be fixed in the next release.

>> - No M17N, Traits, Monticello, Omnibrowser, TTFonts, FreeType
>
> I have many platform fonts which I access with the FT2 plugin, do you
> plan support or is there experience with FT2 running in Cuis?

No. But you can load those fonts in Cuis anytime. You just need to build
a couple of files for importing, using some other Squeak environment
that does support FT2.

Anyway, I'm not planning to support optional packages myself. The base
system is already enough for one person! But you or anybody that wants
to support optional packages for Cuis will have my full support and
collaboration to make it happen and keep them running. This could be the
path to better modularity in Squeak if many people work on it!

>> - Includes support for building VM plugins, but not for building the VM
>> - Includes a set of high quality, antialiased StrikeFonts
>
> Yay :) cr's and lf's no longer mysterious ghosts :)

:)

>> - Backwards compatibility not important
>
> :) can I have my (#scrollBarsOnRight false) preference back?

Sure! You can implement it. It could be another community supported
optional package. Much simpler than FT2, I guess.

>> - Include code from the Squeak project (various versions, Mantis,
>> squak-dev, etc)
>>
>> Cuis is under MIT license. It is the result of several years of
>> cleanup, and it is currently being used in one commercial project. It
>> is small and fast, and good for dev and learning. Besides PCs, it
>> also runs great on older machines, PDAs and embedded devices.
>>
>> I hope you like it.
>
> Thank you Juan, good work! I'll use Cuis instead of
> Squeak3.10.2-7179-basic. Did I ask, can I have my (#scrollBarsOnRight
> false) preference back? :)
>
> /Klaus

Hey, this is great to know!

Cheers,