[squeak-dev] running squeak from flash stick

Ralph Boland rpboland at gmail.com
Sat Mar 28 21:30:26 UTC 2009

I want to be able to store and run my Squeak project on a flash stick
so I can load it onto (someone else's) linux (ubuntu in this case
but that could change) laptop.
I need everything to be on the flash stick and to run from there.
I DO NOT WANT TO INSTALL ANYTHING ON THE LAPTOP!

So I tried doing a manual install onto the flash stick.
First I stored Squeak-3.10-1.i686-pc-linux-gnu.tar on the flash stick
and then tried to untar the tar file.
I ran into problems because symbolic link operations could not be performed.
I tried again using sudo but the symbol links operations still failed
and I also got errors of the form:

 Cannot change ownership to uid 1000, gid 1000: Operation not permitted.

I also tried with Squeak-3.7-7*.tar but had the same problems.

I am using a Lexar flash stick which mounts itself.  I have not
tried changing the mount settings for the flash stick which are:

/dev/sdb1 on /media/Lexar type vfat
(rw,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=hal,shortname=mixed,
uid=1000,utf8,umask=077,flush)

Can I fix my problems by:
   1) Changing the mount settings.  If so I don't know which ones; I
guess this is really a Linux question.  Or perhaps there is a hardware
restriction and this cannot be done.
   2) Copying the necessary files onto the flash stick from my machine
       from which Squeak can currently be run.
       If so which files to I need to copy and where do I put them.
       If this is the solution perhaps a set of instructions somewhere
       on how to do this would be useful since other squeakers may
       want to  do this.  If instructions exist and I have simply failed
       to find them then my apologies.

Thanks in advance for your time especially to those who can help.

Ralph Boland

--
When a woman becomes sexually aroused the necessary blood flows from her heart.
When a man becomes sexually aroused, the necessary blood is removed