[squeak-dev] running squeak from flash stick

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Sat Mar 28 22:44:42 UTC 2009

On 28.03.2009, at 22:30, Ralph Boland wrote:

> I want to be able to store and run my Squeak project on a flash stick
> so I can load it onto (someone else's) linux (ubuntu in this case
> but that could change) laptop.
> I need everything to be on the flash stick and to run from there.
> I DO NOT WANT TO INSTALL ANYTHING ON THE LAPTOP!
>
> So I tried doing a manual install onto the flash stick.
> First I stored Squeak-3.10-1.i686-pc-linux-gnu.tar on the flash stick
> and then tried to untar the tar file.
> I ran into problems because symbolic link operations could not be
> performed.
> I tried again using sudo but the symbol links operations still failed
> and I also got errors of the form:
>
> Cannot change ownership to uid 1000, gid 1000: Operation not
> permitted.
>
> I also tried with Squeak-3.7-7*.tar but had the same problems.
>
> I am using a Lexar flash stick which mounts itself.  I have not
> tried changing the mount settings for the flash stick which are:
>
> /dev/sdb1 on /media/Lexar type vfat
> (rw,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=hal,shortname=mixed,
> uid=1000,utf8,umask=077,flush)
>
> Can I fix my problems by:
>   1) Changing the mount settings.  If so I don't know which ones; I
> guess this is really a Linux question.  Or perhaps there is a hardware
> restriction and this cannot be done.
>   2) Copying the necessary files onto the flash stick from my machine
>       from which Squeak can currently be run.
>       If so which files to I need to copy and where do I put them.
>       If this is the solution perhaps a set of instructions somewhere
>       on how to do this would be useful since other squeakers may
>       want to  do this.  If instructions exist and I have simply
> failed
>       to find them then my apologies.
>
> Thanks in advance for your time especially to those who can help.
>
> Ralph Boland

You should simply copy a working installation to the stick. That does
not require symlinks.

We are actually working on something similar for classroom use. Take a
look at this:

http://wiki.squeakland.org/display/sq/Etoys+on+a+Stick

If you run this on a Linux machine it should create a zip file that
you can unzip to a USB flash drive, and use on (x86) Linux, Mac, and
Windows.

- Bert -