[squeak-dev] category support fixes for MC1.5?

Keith Hodges keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Mar 29 00:57:20 UTC 2009

Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> On 28.03.2009, at 21:07, Keith Hodges wrote:
>
>> Eliot Miranda wrote:
>>>

>>> On Sat, Mar 28, 2009 at 12:00 PM, Keith Hodges
>>> <keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk <mailto:keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk>> wrote:
>>>
>>>    I am beginning to think you are talking about method categories,
>>>    rather
>>>    than class categories.
>>>

>>> Uh, yes :)
>>>
>> Ok, the good news is that the method definitions are stored in the
>> correct order in the snapshot.bin
>>
>> The bad news is that, all the definitions go through a sorting process
>> prior to loading in order to ensure that as much as possible loads. I
>> think that we MC users must have got used to this state of affairs.
>

> Even if reordering methods is necessary it should be simple to apply
> the right categorization afterwards, no?
>
> The reordering is a big issue for long-time Smalltalkers (and even
> more the intrusive practice of identifying extension methods and
> overrides by star categories).
>
> - Bert -
The methodCategorization can be added to the MCClassDefinitions fairly
easily. But this will send older MC's back to parsing the source.st

I held back to think it through, because this would be the first time
that MC1.5 has saved snapshot.bin files that are not compatible with
older MC1.0s. You appeared to think that this would be ok.

Keith

p.s. we are planning for a completely new improved format for 1.7