[squeak-dev] RE: running squeak from flash stick

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Mon Mar 30 11:38:08 UTC 2009

On 30.03.2009, at 05:09, Ralph Boland wrote:

>> From  - Bert -
>
>> You should simply copy a working installation to the stick. That does
>> not require symlinks.
>
> It is not clear to me what files I need to copy or where I should
> put them.
> Since file "squeak" is a binary I cannot tell what it is doing or how
> to modify it.

It is the "Virtual Machine" that executes the Smalltalk code in your
image. There usually is no need to modify it.

>> We are actually working on something similar for classroom use.
>> Take a
>> look at this:
>
>> http://wiki.squeakland.org/display/sq/Etoys+on+a+Stick
>
>> If you run this on a Linux machine it should create a zip file that
>> you can unzip to a USB flash drive, and use on (x86) Linux, Mac, and
> Windows.
>
>   Using your file I got Etoys to work fine on my flash stick (I only
> tried Linux).
>   Looks cool!
>   But I do not see how to get squeak to  run the same way.

Just put your image and changes and sources files in the Etoys.app/
Contents/Resources directory where etoys.image, etoys.changes, and
EtoysV4.sources are. Then copy etoys.sh to squeak.sh and edit it so
that it uses your image instead of the etoys image. That should be all
that's needed.

- Bert -