[squeak-dev] More distributed version control

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Tue Mar 31 12:32:00 UTC 2009

On 31.03.2009, at 13:17, Göran Krampe wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Andreas Raab wrote:
>> Folks -
>> Just as a side note to anyone who is interested in distributed
>> version control systems, I thought it's interesting to see that
>> they get more and more widely adopted. This just popped up on
>> Python-dev:
>> http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2009-March/087931.html
>> I'm wondering if this has any impact on our thinking with respect
>> to Monticello, change sets etc?
>
> I am interested in these beasts, and Keith also has quite a bit of
> experience. We use Hg in Gjallar - although very little. I have also
> used bzr a bit, no git yet - but it is just a matter of time since
> Github has really brought git "to the masses". Those are the three
> "top contenders" although Darcs has a special place in my heart, not
> for it's magical smarts (well, its cherry picking is way cool of
> course) but mainly for its tremendous easy of use.
>
> As you may know OpenSolaris, OpenJDK and Mozilla all use Hg (IIRC)
> and Ubuntu pushes Bzr. These three are all very good, battle tested
> and fast. Bzr and Hg being written in Python, and git in C.
>
> The Quilt/patch queues in Hg etc is an example of inspiration for
> Deltas, when Deltas are fully operational such queues can easily be
> made using them.
>
> IMHO there is a lot to be learned from these tools. Git and Darcs
> for example represent two different "philosophies" - git following
> the "don't be too smart, better to be slightly dumb but predictable"-
> idea and Darcs following the "very, very smart doing magical stuff"-
> idea. :)
>
> With Deltas I was also inspired by Linus/git - the idea to be able
> to do relatively nice merging without using history like MC does -
> thus, "not too smart, but predictable".

I've been working with git for a while now, first in Sugar and lately
at VPRI too. I like it very much (compared to svn at least, no
experience with hg or bzr), and the best thing is that it is really
really simple inside. Highly recommended reading:

http://www.newartisans.com/2008/04/git-from-the-bottom-up.html

- Bert -