[squeak-dev] More distributed version control

Frank Shearar frank.shearar at angband.za.org
Tue Mar 31 14:44:14 UTC 2009

"Göran Krampe" <goran at krampe.se> writes:

> Hi!
>
> Andreas Raab wrote:
> > Folks -
> >
> > Just as a side note to anyone who is interested in distributed version
> > control systems, I thought it's interesting to see that they get more
> > and more widely adopted. This just popped up on Python-dev:
> >
> > http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2009-March/087931.html
> >
> > I'm wondering if this has any impact on our thinking with respect to
> > Monticello, change sets etc?
>
> I am interested in these beasts, and Keith also has quite a bit of
> experience. We use Hg in Gjallar - although very little. I have also
> used bzr a bit, no git yet - but it is just a matter of time since
> Github has really brought git "to the masses". Those are the three "top
> contenders" although Darcs has a special place in my heart, not for it's
> magical smarts (well, its cherry picking is way cool of course) but
> mainly for its tremendous easy of use.

What Göran said.

I've chosen to recommend Mercurial for my work purposes because darcs likes
ssh servers on those machines that will _serve_ repositories, and I've yet
to find an easy way to run said servers on Windows machines.

That cherry-picking business of darcs', though: man, that just rocks. When
you say "darcs record" it walks you through the hunks in a file, and you can
just say "yes, I'll record this hunk, no, not that hunk". (I'd dearly love
to see something like this in MC!)

Serving Mercurial repositories is more effort than darcs, but it's not
rocket science. I had an apache server anyway, so it was really just bunging
hgwebdir.cgi in the right place and writing the config file.

frank