[squeak-dev] Re: [ANN] A new scheduler + VM changes alpha-release

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Fri May 1 10:29:54 UTC 2009

2009/5/1 Andreas Raab <andreas.raab at gmx.de>:
> Igor Stasenko wrote:
>>
>> I have built a new VM with closure support (VMMaker.dtl.120).
>> A changeset can be loaded to VMMaker w/o changes, except changing the
>> Interpreter class redefinition.
>> All is needed is to add 3 class vars to Interpreter manually:
>> ProcessActionIndex InterruptedProcessIndex InterruptProcessIndex
>
> Hm ... I compiled a VM with your changes but I can't recreate your results.
> My results are more in the range of 15:1 to 20:1 in a before-after
> comparison. Are you using the code from
> http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7345 or something more elaborate by now?

Well, i made some shortcuts, like removing fallback handler and it
improved a bit.
I checked everything thoughoutly, and since performance degrades
linearly with each introduced message send,
i don't think its because of bogus code.
The overhead is because we using interpreter to switch processes:
 -removing process from a list
 - adding process to a list
etc etc.

Of course, i could make an additional prims to speed things up for a
little, like doing
  LinkedList>>removeFirst:
  LinkedList>>addLast:
primitively.
But i wouldn't care about it now. I want to explore the real benefits
of having scheduling logic at language side - like reimplementing
Delays, adding nicer process termination procedure (see my other
thread) etc.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.