[squeak-dev] Re: Status of translations before Squeak 4.0

Ian Trudel ian.trudel at gmail.com
Tue May 19 00:13:11 UTC 2009

Hello Séverin,

This is really sad nobody has replied to you. I am also concerned by
localization support in Squeak. And it's all true: the French version
isn't that great. It would be easy to port gettext classes from Etoys
to Squeak.

However, one problem with the approach is the lack of support for
categories. It means one gets a big dictionary of system wide
sentences. It's an unfriendly combination with the monolithic design
of gettext. The language editor is also pretty bad, nothing to compare
with, say, POEdit.

We would also have to find a repository to store language files (e.g.
PO gettext files). Anyway, I don't think there is any translation
workflow at all. No plan. No nothing. =)

Ian.
--
http://mecenia.blogspot.com/