[Etoys] [squeak-dev] Q: Contributing to Squeak

Gary Dunn osp at aloha.com
Tue May 19 11:38:56 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-05-19 at 09:54 +0100, Frank Shearar wrote:
> Gary Dunn wrote:
> > I am a big fan of FreeBSD and am running Squeak 3.9 on FreeBSD 7.1 and
> > Gnome 2.4. Is there something else I need to learn about and develop
> > Etoys? There is no Etoys port in the ports tree.
> >
> I don't know about the plugin issues that you mention below, but you
> should just need to install lang/squeak, and download the Etoys image
> from wherever, and run it.

Sources such as the Squeak swiki say to download Etoys from Squeakland
(http://www.squeakland.org/download/), but that is where I only find
downloads for Windows, Mac, Debian Linux and a Linux RPM. The release
notes suggest these are complete implementations of Squeak. The release
notes also describe a universal edition for the XO, but I don't see how
to get it.

> That is, lang/squeak installs the VM (and a plain image).
>
> The port's a bit dated, installing Squeak 3.9-7. If you want something
> later than that, Takeshi MUTOH has a beta 3.10 port at
> http://qml.610t.org/squeak/VM_test.html.

Thanks, but I'm sure I would not know the difference.
--
Gary Dunn, Honolulu
osp at aloha.com
http://openslate.net/