[squeak-dev] Re: SqueakDBx

Mariano Martinez Peck marianopeck at gmail.com
Tue May 19 12:34:20 UTC 2009

On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 11:09 AM, Stefan Izota <stefan.izota at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi Mariano,
>
> I did not find any SqueakDBX mailing list so I decided to mail you a small
> problem I have.

No, we don't have our own mailing list, but I think sending your question to
squeak-dev or pharo list is ok.

> I tried to test SqueakDBX on latest Squeak (3.10.2-7179) and Pharo (10309
> updated to 10310) images. I also used the latest VMs.
> I compiled postgreSQL and SQLite back-ends on Windows XP using MinGW.
> The dll-s resulted are: libopendbx-1.dll, libopendbxplus-1.dll,
> libpgsqlbackend-1.dll, libsqlite3backend-1.dll. I copied them to the VMs
> directories.
>
> For postgreSQL i used:
>
> | conn connectionSettings result aRow |
>   connectionSettings := DBXConnectionSettings
>       host: 'localhost'
>       port: '5432'
>       database: 'StDatabase'
>       userName: 'postgres'
>       userPassword: 'akimbo'.
>      conn := DBXConnection platform: DBXPostgresPlatform new settings:
> connectionSettings.
> conn connect.
> conn open.
>
> result := conn execute: 'insert into sttask (taskname) VALUES (''stefan'')
> '.
> result := conn execute: 'select * from stuser'.
> aRow := result nextRow.
> aRow inspect.
>
> conn close.
> conn disconnect.
>
> and everything worked fine.

I am glad to know it is working :)

> For SQLite i used:
>
> | conn connSettings result rows |
>
> connSettings := DBXConnectionSettings new
>   host: 'D:\sqlite\db\';
>   database: 'test.db'.
>
> connSettings inspect.
>
> conn := DBXConnection
>   platform: DBXSqlitePlatform new
>   settings: connSettings.
> conn connect.
> conn open.
>
> result := conn execute: 'select * from users'.
> rows := result rows.
> rows inspect.
>
> conn close.
> conn disconnect.
>
> and I got DBXFatalError: FATAL OpenDBX: Operation is not available (on both
> images).

Yes. This is a bug I discover in OpenDBX. Norbert (the author) has fix it
and comitted in SVN. So, you can do two things:

1) checkout from svn:
https://libopendbx.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/libopendbx/trunk/
And compile again as you did the first time. This fix will be then in
OpenDBX 1.4.1 (which is not released yet)

2) I will send you the dll I compile by myself if you want it.

> I can open/modifiy the SQLite db using http://sqliteadmin.orbmu2k.de/ just
> fine.
>
> Do you have any idea what am I doing wrong?

Nothing. Your code is perfect. Our fault.

> Regards,
> Stefan

I hope this helps.

Mariano