[squeak-dev] Re: Terms of Reference: discussion is open

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Thu Nov 5 05:09:25 UTC 2009

Juan Vuletich wrote:
> The Team model failed. We don't have enough knowledgeable people with
> available time to donate to cover all parts of Squeak.
>
> The Board is the only way we have to make decisions. I propose giving
> the Board complete rights to make any decision. When taking important
> decisions the Board might decide to ask the Assembly to vote. The
> Assembly is made of core contributors to Squeak. Only the Board and core
> contributors have influence on the decisions. This will help to keep
> Squeak following its objectives, and will make it likely there will be
> people to actually put into practice the decisions made. We still need a
> reasonable way to identify core contributors, though.
>
> What do you think?

I'm with you on this. I want a strong board, a board that can and does
make decisions, a board that correct its course of action where
necessary. I think the terms of reference should state explicitly that:

* the board is ultimately responsible for ensuring ongoing development
and timely releases of Squeak
* the board is responsible for creating an environment in which the
community can contribute code and otherwise participate
* the board can delegate its responsibilities to members of the
community (teams) to take care of whatever needs to be done

There are some parts that are quite reasonable but I think it needs to
be stated clearly that "the buck stops here" i.e., with the board. It is
our assumed duty as shepherds of the community to make sure that
development goes on. It is our duty to make sure releases happen. It is
our duty to ensure Squeak is present and visible. We can delegate some
or all of it (and do so where we can because all of us are doing this in
our spare time) but it doesn't release us from the responsibility, and
implies guidance and oversight on the board's behalf.

The good news here is that because of we have elections every year it's
quite easy to change things - run for the board. If you feel that a
significant part or direction in the community is underrepresented,
please run! Make your voice heard, that's what the elections are for.

Cheers,
   - Andreas