Squeak direction: Was: Re: [squeak-dev] Terms of Reference: discussion is open

Juan Vuletich juan at jvuletich.org
Fri Nov 6 17:53:03 UTC 2009

Miguel Enrique Cobá Martinez wrote:
> My question, in simple terms is, what are the goals of Squeak. Something
> like, for example:
>
> - minimal under 10 MB core image.
> - Etoys removal
> - All packages removed from image and easily loaded from squeak source
> - In core only collections, compiler, kernel and I/O.
> - Purge of squeaksource or new squeak source with maintained packages
> - fix of squeakmap mess
> - new framework for managing packages/dependencies/configuration
> (sake/packages, metacello, other) in next minimal squeak core
>
> Things like that.
> They are only examples. But show to those that want to contribute what
> points are the most important to aim for the next Squeak version.

Asking that kind of questions is quite ok with me. Saying (quoting you):

"Whom is to lead the hordes to reach that dream before the times change
and the historians study it as a simple academic, incomplete and
dead-before-time effort? Better to die trying something magnificent and
unreachable that deciding where to go and what to do. "

"Bueno bueno, si cabalgar es lo que hace Squeak desde hace 6 meses,
tenemos una idea muy distinta de lo que es cabalgar. Al menos cabalgar
hacia adelante y no en circulos."

"I think that what the board lacks is a real leadership, not like the
leadership we have seen, but a real leadership.

One that can envision a glorious future
One that can find the indispensable steps that lead to that glorious future.
One that risk its popularity and sleeps thinking that the next day can
be removed from the throne.
One that risk lost part of the troops when following that glorious future.
One that values the remaining troops as the ones having the same vision."

"there is no real advance on squeak any different than before, when
everyone walk in its own direction, just like the trunk commits show the
personal itches being scratched by each commiter."

"From some weeks to date I have been wondering what is the point of so
many little and not so little random fixes going to trunk (not
minimizing the effort or quality of them, that they indeed have). I have
entered the Squeak page and nowhere could I find a single sentence about
the goals that motivated so may changes.

Are they trying to fix Monticello (fix what)?
Are they trying to fix input (unicode, japanese, russian, what?)?
Are they trying to fix collections (were they broken?)?
Are they trying to get some social results by experimenting with the
number of automated mails about said fixes and reactions of people?"

and not being able / willing to help is quite not ok with me.

> It has been said many times that 3.11 is all about tool but, for the
> common, unsavy squeak list subscriber, what are the tools, what can be
> help, maybe not code but documentation, blog posts, publicity,
> announcing.
>
> I could never make my own Squeak version like you, but that doesn't
> means that I couldn't help by promoting squeak and making tutorials and
> in general making the world aware of this little thing called Squeak
> that I think that is marvelous but I can also note that _nobody_ knows
> and use. I would like to help fix that but that attitude of *we are
> doing good and we don't need that a newbie that hasn't contributed
> anything the size of Cuis, Etoys, Croquet ask anything about the squeak
> future* doesn't help and only push the people to other forks with more
> *visible* future stablished.

I guess you can at least read this list. The answers to your questions
"(fix what)? (unicode, japanese, russian, what?)? (were they
broken?)?"are all available for you to read.

>> I can tell you about mine. Or you can read in this list and my web page
>> about Cuis and Morphic 3. I can tell about Bert, Yoshiki and VPRI
>> (Etoys, OLPC, FONC). I can tell about Andreas (Balloon 3D, Tweak,
>> Croquet, Teleplace). I can tell about Gulik (the Unnamed Grand Project).
>> Same for many others here. What about you?
>>
>> This community can only achieve what its members actually do. For
>> instance, the last 2 years I gave up about 1/3 of the money I was making
>> just to have time to work on Cuis, Morphic 3 and to contribute to
>> Squeak. You can see some of the results of that in the trunk. What about
>> you?
>>
>> And no, thanks. We don't need yet another non-contributing visionary.
>>

> Pity for the 90% of squeak list subscribers. We are not as smart to
> pertain to this community

I don't think that 90% of the list subscribers think like you. But
that's not the point at all.

I'm not trying to show if some of us are smarter than others or not. I'm
showing you that some of us have our dreams and plans. And we work
towards them. For good or bad, that's the only way to get things done here.

Finally I don't think that your "90%" if the list does not belong here.
What I said is that we don't need yet another visionary trying to show
us the way to the future, and at the same time admitting they know so
little about Squeak that they can't contribute. Believe it or not, we
have seen this attitude dozens of times in the past.

> Thanks for your time.

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich