Unloadable MVC changes, code reviewer needed (was: [squeak-dev] The Trunk: System-dtl.163.mcz)

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Tue Nov 10 01:25:24 UTC 2009

I have committed a set of changes continue the factoring of Project into
MVC and Morphic subclasses, hopefully aligned with the direction that
Andreas has set forth to achieve an unloadable MVC package.

I consider these changes somewhat risky, so I would appreciate if anyone can
review them and speak up if they cause problems. In particular, the methods
Project>>enterForEmergencyRecovery and Project>>enter:revert:saveForRevert:
could stand a good review.

For background, these two methods handle entry into a project from another
project, possibly involving transition from MVC or Morphic and vice versa.
The conditional logic (#isMorphic and #isMorph) in the original method
implementations has been replaced by methods in the MVCProject and
MorphicProject subclasses, and these subclass methods are invoked through
reference to self (the project being entered) or class variable CurrentProject
(the prior project from which we are exiting).

The updates in Squeak trunk are System-dtl.163, Morphic-dtl.224, and
ST-80-dtl.64. Note that MVC is somewhat broken in trunk, so the objective
here is to not make it any more badly broken.

Thanks,
Dave