[squeak-dev] Re: My Own Squeak Direction

Chris Cunnington smalltalktelevision at gmail.com
Sun Nov 15 17:17:32 UTC 2009

@German Arduino

"But, and is a big but on my pov, I wants also all the possibilities to
make web development. I don't like the idea of think that to web dev I
should switch to Pharo."

This is an interesting point. I think it can arouse more fear than is
necessary, though.

For Squeak to run Seaside is trivial. Seaside lays on top of the
networking capabilities of Squeak. It's not invasive in its demands. I
think Andreas is more concerned with plugins and lower level stuff.
Wonderland, Morphic, Etoys, and drumming bunnies floating in 3D are
more fundamental plumbing problems than Seaside.

The question about compatibility of future Seasides, or Aida releases
rests more with the maintainers of those projects than with Squeak.
I've settled on Seaside 2.8.3 as the last version of Seaside I'm going
to bother with. It's clear to me from things Julian Fitzel has said
that the Seaside maintainers will not be porting to Squeak. They plan
to develop for Pharo exclusively. At the moment they are looking for a
Squeak maintainer, somebody to convert what they're doing to Squeak.
They may have found one already, I don't know.

And I don't care. 2.8.3 is delightful. I don't see anything in 2.9
(WAPainter, addition of jQuery written in Smalltalk ( I can do that
myself, thanks) and greater modularity (which only benefits Gemstone,
Cincom, etc), use of other servers (Comanche is the only one I want))
that I want or need. I'm not going to chase them to rewrite my code
every time they make a change.

I don't see anything in Seaside 3.0 et alia that I can't live without.
Seaside is not an application. It's a framework. It's there for me to
reshape, and as far as I'm concerned 2.8.3 and my slowly growing skill
set are all I'll need.

 The tipping point between stability of platform and the supposed
benefit of new features coming out of Europe has me thinking that it
has evolved to be all it needs to be and any new things its
maintainers will develop for it will not be worth the effort required
to chase them.

I'm content to watch Pharo take new Seaside releases and disappear
over the horizon.

Chris