[squeak-dev] My own Squeak direction

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sun Nov 15 18:38:32 UTC 2009

On Sat, Nov 14, 2009 at 03:28:49PM -0800, Andreas Raab wrote:

> I'd be interested in hearing what others working on and in Squeak have
> to say about their own directions. Together it should give a pretty
> comprehensive understanding about where Squeak is headed in practice.

I plan to continue working on various Squeak projects in my spare time.
In the future I would like to be able to do this as a retirement project
if my brain holds out, possibly a few more years at the current rate
of decline ;-)

I will continue maintaining my current projects (OSProcess, TimeZoneDatabase,
etc) as well as contributing to VMMaker and Squeak trunk where I can.
I would also like to contribute to updating Etoys and Squeak in a more
coordinated way.

I think that multimedia capabilities make Squeak very appealing. I also
like the extreme scalability of the environment, with everything from
a Spoon minimal image up to 64-bit object memories, SqueakNOS up to
large scale servers, and all done with an interpreter written mainly
in Smalltalk.

I take a rather dim view of "professional software" in general, and
that line of development does not interest me much. Well, except for
Seaside and AIDA, which are great.

One of these days I'd like to try integrating Squeak with BCPL such
that Squeak could be a host environment for BCPL/Cintpos and vice-versa.

Dave