[squeak-dev] Re: My Own Squeak Direction

Randal L. Schwartz merlyn at stonehenge.com
Sun Nov 15 19:11:02 UTC 2009

>>>>> "Chris" == Chris Cunnington <smalltalktelevision at gmail.com> writes:

Chris> It's clear to me from things Julian Fitzel has said that the Seaside
Chris> maintainers will not be porting to Squeak. They plan to develop for
Chris> Pharo exclusively.

I don't think you're reading that the same way I read it.  I think they're
saying that while they aren't intentionally breaking it for Squeak core, they
also won't have anyone serving as the "canary in the coal mine" to see if it
has broken.

And so far, it hasn't.  3.0 works just fine on Squeak-trunk.  I actually think
that anything that Seaside breaks can be fixed by making Squeak-trunk support
what Pharo has.  Ultimately, there shouldn't need to be a different layer for
"Squeak Compat" vs "Pharo Compat".  Squeak *is* Pharo.  Pharo *is* Squeak.
They just have redundant dev teams. :)