[squeak-dev] My own Squeak direction

K. K. Subramaniam subbukk at gmail.com
Mon Nov 16 05:16:00 UTC 2009

On Sunday 15 November 2009 04:58:49 am Andreas Raab wrote:
> Folks -
>
> I feel like the recent discussion about directions left us without much
> progress in terms of where we think Squeak is headed. I actually don't
> think this is particularly hard to formulate, since as we all know,
> Squeak will be headed where we make it head to. In other words, I think
> we could come up with a pretty good idea of where Squeak will be headed
> if those people who actually contribute tell a little bit more about
> their interests and directions. So let me be the first to start here:
Thank you for the initiative. My own interests for Squeak are:

* Make Squeak run off removable flash memory devices gracefully. This will
require elimination of redundant saves of project files (Squeaklets), use of
RAM file systems for temporary directories, better integration with host's
desktop manager dialogs, launchers that autodetect path settings before
launching Squeak etc.

* Indic language support but without an explosion in the size of the image due
to a profusion of fonts.
 ** TeX-like text layout engines in Squeak to handle multi-lingual paragraphs.
 ** Add Metafont-like capabilities to Squeak where one-time glyphs can be
generated on the fly and saved in the image as a regular object.
 ** Extend Morphs to derive shapes from scripts like PS or SVG in preparation
for a zoomable interface.
 ** Virtual keyboard and input methods

My dream is to see Squeak become a mobile digital environment for learners
across the world that frees (atleast isolates) them from dependencies on
specific machines, machine architecture and form factors.

Subbu