[squeak-dev] FunTrunk

Colin Putney cputney at wiresong.ca
Mon Nov 16 16:00:16 UTC 2009

On 16-Nov-09, at 6:25 AM, David T. Lewis wrote:

> I am not a Monticello expert, but I wonder what others think of
> Edgar's extensions for storing non-code things in an MC archive?

I haven't looked at Edgar's work in particular, but I have to say I
don't like the general trend of using MC as deployment tool rather
than a development tool. MC was not designed for deployment, but the
fact that individual versions in an MC repository can be referenced by
URL make it really tempting to just skip the whole packaging-for-
deployment step and just deploy straight out of the repository. I
think this weakens MC as a development tool, while also obscuring the
weaknesses in our deployment technologies.

Edgar mentioned SAR, which is the best deployment technology we have
at the moment. What's missing from SAR that requires MC provides? I
think it would be better to add (deployment) functionality to SAR than
to MC.

Colin