[squeak-dev] My own Squeak direction

K. K. Subramaniam subbukk at gmail.com
Tue Nov 17 03:18:44 UTC 2009

On Monday 16 November 2009 07:58:16 pm Göran Krampe wrote:
> Jecel Assumpcao Jr wrote:
> > I want it to be easy and elegant to create and share persistent objects
> > using Squeak.
> >
> > Solutions like Monticello+package universes/squeakmap are a bit too
> > complicated for me and yet don't do some things that I want.
>
> I don't associate those tools much with "persistent objects", mostly
> (well, SM can do Projects so sure...) with source code.
ASCII/UTF-8 encoding seems to be only way to track deltas to an image.
Currently, Squeak does not save deltas to an image. This gap imposes a burden
on developers who make small additions to a base image (which may also undergo
upgrades over time). Not that source code deltas don't break base images, but
toolsets do offer help in coping with such breakages and repairing the source
code.

The object memory has old/new areas, but the image is still a binary monolith.
As solid-state storages take hold, the cost of redundant writes will keep
rising. Is anyone looking at options where an image is a folder of files
instead of a single file?

Subbu