[squeak-dev] 64 bit images

stephan at stack.nl stephan at stack.nl
Tue Nov 17 10:25:19 UTC 2009

> Curious: what would you do if you could have a huge image?

It is not huge. It is one hour of engineering time around here.

Finally port that OLAP code I wrote in 2000 in java.
Multi-dimensional analysis are trivial with large memory
support, and extremely slow without.

Do database conversions in Squeak instead of the painful way.

> I can't quite imagine Squeak's GC giving satisfying performance with such
> a large object memory.

No problem, there's not much garbage to collect :)
Of course the GC is satisfying. When compared to the disk random access
time otherwise needed, that is.

> Good question. The original Squeak 64-bit image is about five years
> old now, and does not seem to have attracted much interest of a practical
> nature:

The warnings that it doesn't work well, rude comments on this list and
the remark that you need to build your own VM is sufficient to kill any
practical interest.

Stephan Eggermont