[squeak-dev] support of various line ends in trunk

Juan Vuletich juan at jvuletich.org
Tue Nov 17 11:07:55 UTC 2009

Hi Stephan,

stephan at stack.nl wrote:
> Juan wrote:
>> Showing all in the same way is misleading. Different Strings should
>> look different in the editor!
>
> Why should they? No system (old mac, unix, dos) has the correct
> ASCII behaviour and no user expects them to. Squeak is multi-platform
> and has its own internal conventions.

The purpose of an editor is to show the user the characters that
comprise the String being edited, and allow him to add / remove
characters at will. This is so obvious that I feel silly saying it. Why
would some characters be silently messed by the system? I see no reason.
It is like the horrible "ASCII mode" in FTP, that breaks every file it
downloads.

> Conversion should always default
> towards the internal conventions, with the possibility to override that
> behaviour. Default write-out should be to platform standard, eliminating
> multi-convention line ends. If the user wants something different, she
> knows enough to override the defaults.

Squeak is not an application. Squeak is an object environment. Squeak
editors don't edit files. They edit Strings. The behavior of the editors
and that of the code used to read the strings from files or to store
them back to files are completely unrelated issues. There could be no
files at all. Or the files could be in a web server or whatever. They
could be dynamically created by some other application. They could be
part of an object you're inspecting. Assuming there is a well known
"platform standard" to follow is wrong. May be in an application... Then
the programmer doing that application might do whatever conversion fit
his needs. But the base system should do none by default.

> Stephan Eggermont

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich