[squeak-dev] support of various line ends in trunk

Juan Vuletich juan at jvuletich.org
Tue Nov 17 14:00:06 UTC 2009

Igor Stasenko wrote:

> That's where we could choose one or another line endings etc.. but not
> in text editor, which is a nonsense because it deals with live
> objects.

The editors in Squeak (in browsers, for example) deal with live objects:
instances of class String. They might include any sequence of
characters. Including those you don't like.

>> In Squeak, the editor is the way a developer has to interact (i.e. edit)
>> String objects. It is not an end-user editor adapted to whatever end-user
>> needs you have in mind.
>>

> Hmm.. i was always thinking that text editor is for editing the text,
> not Strings. :)

Then may be you're wrong.

> Look, we write tools for users, but not for machine.
> Same as we should invent languages to serve for developers, not for compilers.

Dev tools are for developers. That's what the base system is about. Not
about the machine, not about end-users. Just developers.

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich